Tuesday, December 24, 2013


My first stuffed animals/my shop mascots I made

I wanted to make a boy and girl owl, one for me and the other for my husband.  I spent some time going to craft stores such as Michaels and Jo-Ann fabric and craft stores to find cute types of fabric and decorations which would make cute owls.  At each store I found something unique I loved and wanted to use on my first mascots.

These are the materials I gathered together before starting to sew.  I got some different colored cloth for the different parts of the bodies with cute patterns on it.  For the wings I used some blank pieces of different colors.  The eyes, nose, and feet I made out of different colors of felt. I took a checker board cloth for the stomach, since I liked how the tummy would look.  I added some flower decals to the stomach to brighten it up and add some more details.  Some basic things to make a couple of cute animals =)).

I cut out the owl designs before sewing the pieces together.  I didn't use any tracing forms, everything was sketched free hand.  I wanted to make sure I had all the pieces cut out properly, and I wanted to see what the owls will look like before I started sewing.  This allowed me the chance to play around with where the owls will look or how their feet will be placed .  The front and back of the owls are of two slightly different colors, I liked the difference in the color scheme. I decided to add the red bow to the girl owl during this step.  

Here are our mascots finished. It took me few day to complete all the sewing and stuffing.  I changed the eyes around a bit so that the boy owl would be staring at the girl owl.  When I started sewing the owls, I hadn't realized that the owl would need to have a bit of space open to stuff the owls near the wings.  The stuffing was a little difficult, as I had to stuff the whole owl from only the small holes where the wings came from.  Once the wings were stuffed, I sewed them shut and then sewed them to the stuffed body by hand.  This was my longest project I have done, because I didn't exactly know what I was doing, and I had to figure it out as I went.  And then our mascots were done and ready to be cute =))


If you like my mascots, and you would like to have one of your own, contact me and I will be happy to make it for you. 
This is my email: ivankaslittletreasures@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment